Amundsen House of Chaos

Let's face it, when you have a kid who survived a stroke, life is always going to be a little chaotic.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
and don't forget to update your bookmarks.


I got home with Colby last night at Midnight. He is fine. The exact words of the Nurse Practitioner were "The ID doctors think the vomiting is either neurological or gastrointestinal based." Ummmmmm so correct me if I'm wrong. You think he's neurologically impaired and his stomach is causing the vomiting. I do believe I should go back to school for a PhD. That is heavy on the sarcasm. I really liked the Nurse Practitioner though. He was a very nice man who paid me a wonderful compliment and for once instead of brushing it off as no big deal I'm going to accept it as it was given.

He told me that he meant no disrespect but for the hand I have been dealt I am one of the finest examples of a parent he has ever seen. He said he has seen all types of parents and for what Colby has been through he is in amazing shape and I need to take the credit for that. So I am here on my blog. Probably won't take credit for it later in the day but for now I feel like maybe we might survive instead of sink.

The Cat scan came back good. He started to tell me there was some scar tissue from the stroke. I told him that was old news. They did a chest x-ray. No pneumonia. Good thing because that one always worries us. He is consistently junky in his chest and the neurologist told us on discharge that if anything were going to kill Colby in the future it would most likely be pneumonia.

They also ran all the blood work again and it all came back good. His CRP or inflammation markers are 0.5 which is great. I never did get the sedimentation rate but he said it was good. Hopefully this all means that Colby can get off of the antibiotic on Thursday.

The neurologist who I am loving, actually called me on the emergency room phone to talk with me about his EEG. It didn't show any seizure activity but it does show that his background wave is off. It could be because of the stroke but it could also indicate potential seizure activity. So I think we will wait a week and then start him slowly on the Kepra. She said that in about 20% of the kids that start it they grow horns and a tail. That was in response to my question about potential side effects or the downside of starting him on it with no seizure proof. If that happens we'll take him off of it. I want him off the antibiotic before we start the medication though. So 8 hours in the Emergency Room to have them tell me it's nothing and send me home with a Zofran prescription for nausea.

I do know that if we had done all the lab work up here, he would have had something very wrong and then we would have had to drive down and be admitted. So because this is the backwards boy we drove down and he is fine. Which I am grateful for. Very grateful. Sorry for the completely unintelligible post yesterday that was going on but I guess it accurately described my mental state at the time.


At April 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Sara (Ferreira) Haslam said...

Bummed that I missed you guys while you were down but thrilled that you guys are home!! :) Good to talk to you today!!

At April 26, 2009 at 2:25 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

glad things are okay after all is said and done. call me if you need anything at all... even if it's just to talk.

At April 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM , Blogger Nicki said...

You guys are a great example to all of us with enduring to the end. I think of all the trials youve been dealt and each and everytime I see or talk to you, you are so faithfull and diligent. Keep up the example. Each trial we face and endure is rewarded more than we know. Love you guys and miss you


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home