Amundsen House of Chaos

Let's face it, when you have a kid who survived a stroke, life is always going to be a little chaotic.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
and don't forget to update your bookmarks.

More news

We got down here to Primaries around 9:00 last night and were so surprised that we were direct admit instead of waiting in the E.R. for three hours. I love it when doctors know your coming and take the time to make your life easier. I cannot tell you how much we appreciate all of the people here on the NTU that still remember us from the first time. The Neurosurgery resident was waiting for us and gave us the plan for this stay. As of right now Colby is scheduled for surgery this afternoon. They will completely remove the pump this time and take more cultures of his spinal fluid and the blood pocket that was surrounding the pump. On a preliminary culture both were highly infected.

Colby's little body sure goes through a lot without showing what it's going through. Yesterday his fever was harder to break and he was getting more grumpy so I figured it was time for the spinal tap. The neurosurg nurse practioner was working on it from her end down here but I called the hospital in Logan and talked to a fabulous switch board lady who made several phone calls for me. She called me back with in 15 minutes appologizing for taking so long to find out what we needed to do to get him a spinal tap. I was floored at how helpful she was. Again I cannot tell you how grateful I am for the people we come in contact with that help us out with Colby.

We went to the ER and they did the spinal tap and gave him a round of antibiotics and then sent us down here. We will be here for a minimum of three days until the cultures can all grow out and they can determine which type of meningitis he has and what is infecting the pump site. Then we will go home with a more permanent IV line. Crazy that doesn't even phase me anymore. We had a PICC line (Totally don't know if that's how you spell it so forgive my made up spelling) before when he came home because of a urinary tract infection that wouldn't clear up wit oral antibiotics.

Maybe if life wasn't so crazy I might actually think about going into nursing after all of this. Then again probably not. I know for sure I can't handle broken bones. I know after everything you'd think that wouldn't bug me but I can't even look at pictures of broken bones. In fact I'm creeping myself out just typing this so enough of that.

We are so grateful for all of you who have prayed for Colby and continue to keep him in your prayers. We know that they are heard and that he and our family are being watched over. I know the past few days I've been pretty down but I was reminded that we are better off than we were a year ago and there is much to be grateful for.

The lil man is awake and not happy that I am typing so I will post more as I know more.


At April 9, 2009 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Angie said...


You are amazing. I know that you did not ask for any of this to happen, but I do know that it has made you and your family so strong. I am so proud to know you, and knowing how stubborn and hard-headed you are, I know that you will do everything you can to help Colby. He is VERY lucky to have you. You are all in our prayers.

Lots of love and hugs,

At April 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Windblown said...

I am so glad to hear that you are finally getting to the bottom of this fever mess.

At April 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM , Blogger Sara (Ferreira) Haslam said...

Erin, HANG IN THERE!! :) I sure love you and your family. :)

At April 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...


I am so sorry that Colby is having to go through all of this. I know we haven't spoken in a long time but I always keep up with you and your life on your blog. If you ever just need someone to talk to I am here.

Jennifer Spade (Holm)


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home