Amundsen House of Chaos

Let's face it, when you have a kid who survived a stroke, life is always going to be a little chaotic.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.amundsenhouseofchaos.com
and don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Lab work results

The doctors called and gave me some of my lab results this week. I have a severe Vit. D deficiency. My thyroid while technically "perfect" has gone up .5 over the last year so for me it's slowing down. The doctor won't treat it until I hit 3.0 on the TSH value and mine is 1.47.

What ever. I know my thyroid is slowing down so I went and got some herbal thyroid boosters and amazingly I've had less painful headaches and double the energy over the last three days. The doctor also told me that if I had a flex spending account he could prescribe a hot tub for me so that we could write it off on our taxes. I also need to get a swimming pool and start doing laps. I should also sleep when ever I feel the need because I have chronic fatigue and borderline fibromyalgia. The Vit. D deficiency actually takes the fibro right out of the equation since low levels of Vit. D can cause muscle and joint pain.

I find it interesting that until 1978 thyroid deficiencies were treated solely on symptom description by patients. In 1978 they came out with the TSH values and stopped treating people based on symptoms and started going solely on lab tests. By 1980 we had two new diseases that mimic hypothyroidism exactly. Does that make anyone else say hmmmmm? Or is it just me? I also had the pleasure this week of reading 12 or 13 different case studies of people who didn't feel any energy until their TSH levels measured between .5 and 1.0. It just goes to prove my point that doctors need to rely less on lab work and get back to intuition. Unfortunately the threat of lawsuits makes that just about impossible.

Maybe if the original surgeon who took out Colby's appendix had listened to my mothers intuition he wouldn't have had a stroke. Unfortunately I have no crystal ball to view an alternate universe where they didn't mis-diagnose him twice. It would probably just make me sad if I did so I guess it's a good thing I'm here and not wishing for something that would allow me to see that.

5 Comments:

At January 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM , Blogger Helga said...

I'm sorry about the test results! I wish they would give you meds for your thyroid! I know what it feels like to have a wacked out thyroid. Right now I am trying to get my thoryid regulated. The doctor who put me on a really low dose (compared to what I am used to being on) almost a year ago, has now put me on a higher dose and she can't understand why I am frustrated about my thyroid levels. I am always tired, my hair is falling out like crazy and I am gaining weight like there is no tomorrow...argh!!!

Good luck honey and I hope you get this whole situation taken care of!

 
At January 28, 2010 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

That is so frustrating! Sorry! My Dr. recently told me that they raised the RDA of Vitamin D from 400 IUs to 1200...so pop some of those pills!

 
At January 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

Also, I have been reading lately about Candida overgrowth, and that apparently can cause some of the same symptoms. Have you heard much about that?

 
At January 29, 2010 at 3:32 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Helga, That's no fun. It is always amazing how some doctors think everyone should be the same. I just have one of those feelings that it's my thyroid. I can feel it in my neck when I swallow because it's gotten bigger over the last year and that drives me nuts too. I hope they figure yours out soon.

Amanda, I had looked into that awhile ago. When I did the HCG diet it should have wiped it all out since I couldn't have any sugars or carbs for 6 weeks. Maybe I should try a candida cleanse just to be sure though. Hmmm something to think about any way. Thanks! I've been giving Colby Vit D drops because he doesn't get outside enough in the winter cause he gets cold so easy I guess I should have considered I needed it to if he wasn't getting enough. Gee I"m smart huh?

 
At February 2, 2010 at 1:01 AM , Blogger Trisha said...

I am just learning about the thyroid function. I finally went in this past summer for a routine check-up since it had been years since I had done so. I got a call a few days later asking if I had ever had issues with my thyroid and that the doc wanted to put me on some medication for it. Once I looked at symptoms I came to the conclusion that I have probably had this issue for a while. The meds made a huge difference. I hope you can get something that works for you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home