Amundsen House of Chaos

Let's face it, when you have a kid who survived a stroke, life is always going to be a little chaotic.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.amundsenhouseofchaos.com
and don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Jahnna's tonsil removal

I love our Ear Nose and Throat Doctor. He is amazing. He does the whole procedure on a closed circuit camera with the parents watching. If you want to. And I did want to. I just missed half of it. I've watched him put in two sets of tubes into Colby's ears but I've never seen a tonsillectomy or an adenoid removal. Anyway I got John and Jahnna up and dressed and off to the hospital. Then I had to get Colby up and dressed and onto the bus. Riley spent the night at Grandma's so I didn't have to worry about her. That was a big help this morning. Plus it means I got to sleep from 12:00 to 5:30 with no interruptions. Nice!

Anyway, Jahnna had huge tonsils going into this. We knew that but to actually see them removed made me realize just how huge they were! Plus her adenoids were pus filled and infected. I had asked her repeatedly over the last few weeks if her throat hurt and she kept telling me No. But her cough just wouldn't go away. So anyway they were infected. The doctor said it really wasn't a big deal he just put her on a slightly higher dose of antibiotics than she would have been on.

Jahnna did really well even waking up better from the anesthesia than I thought she would. Of course she was grumpy for about a half an hour. She kept saying her throat hurt even though they gave her morphine. And I have never seen a kid blow their nose so much before. I guess it's normal after this surgery but she's already been through three full boxes of Kleenex in two days. She wanted to go home 10 minutes after waking up. She's definitely like me in that department. I'm done get me out of here. We waited around through three sets of vital checks and then they let her go. I went out to get the car and bring it around. Jahnna decided to throw up the entire bottle of apple juice she drank all over her dad! I was never so grateful for a cold morning and the need to warm up the car!

I have a video of the procedure but since my DVD drive on my computer doesn't want to open up I guess I won't post it. For those of you with strong stomachs, here is the before, after and removed tonsils. Don't say I didn't warn you! It's a bit blurry but it's the best I could get. The top left is the before, the top right is the after and the bottom left is her tonsils out. She's a trooper and did an awesome job!







7 Comments:

At November 18, 2009 at 3:51 PM , Blogger Ess said...

Umm..yeah...that was gross, but poor girl to have those in her throat! She has to feel so much better now!

 
At November 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Deb said...

yuck. I'm sorry you have to do so much. You're awesome.

 
At November 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

Geez. Like you didn't have enough going on in your life already?

 
At November 20, 2009 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Helga said...

Wow that was gross and cool all at the same time. I would love to be able to watch something like that! I hope Jahnna is feeling better now.

 
At November 20, 2009 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Erin said...

I know totally gross but oddly fascinating. At least for me it was. Jahnna is doing great! She's up and at em and wants to be doing everything.

 
At November 20, 2009 at 2:07 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I am glad you can tolerate watching it... I could not handle such a thing. But I am so happy she is doing well :)

 
At November 22, 2009 at 9:43 AM , Blogger ♥Jess♥ said...

Oh wow! You got photos! I always wondered what the tonsils looked like when they cut mine out (many years ago!) and now I know. LOL!

Speedy recovery!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home